Postgraduate Diploma In Strategic Communication Management – Europe
Postgraduate Diploma in Strategic Communication Management
For Internal/Corporate Communication Professionals
The Postgraduate Diploma in Strategic Communication Management, awarded by the Centre for Strategic Communication Excellence (CSCE) is for communication professionals who have experience in internal and/or corporate communication as an in-house or agency professional. This qualification will equip candidates with the knowledge and tools to apply strategic communication management principles and approaches to the function of internal/corporate communication. It will explore contemporary strategic communication in an ever-changing landscape and how the role of a communication professional contributes and aligns with organisational engagement and bottom-line outcomes. It will build competency in strategic advisory and leadership, as well as key consulting and strategy development skills.
The Postgraduate Diploma is taught by industry experts and focuses on the practical application of learning through lived experience. It aligns with the Global Standard of the Communication Profession and the Global Principles of Ethical Practice in Public Relations and Communication Management. The diploma will also support candidates in preparation to take the next step in applying for certification through the Global Communication Certification Council.
The Postgraduate Diploma positions internal and corporate communication professionals within the context of how the function adds value to the organisation – i.e., taking a strategic approach to planning, research execution and evaluation of communication. It takes candidates on a journey to realise their potential as an in-demand advisor and astute strategist.We take an analytical approach to encourage candidates to reflect on what they do now in their role and how they can elevate themselves and their function.
The Postgraduate Diploma is made up of Centre for Strategic Communication Excellence programs:
- Strategic Communication Management 1 – Communication Professional (Modules 1-4)
- Strategic Communication Management 2 – Strategic Advisor (Modules 5-6)
- Strategic Communication Management 3 – Business Leader (Modules 7-8)
- Assignment 1 – Internal communication plan development and execution (set after module 4)
- Assignment 2 – Internal communication strategy evaluation, research topic and recommendation (after module 8)
All modules are 120-minute virtual modules with a small task between modules. Those candidates who have already
gained certificates in SCM1, 2 or 3 will get recognition of prior learning (RPL). RPL is also assessed against
other industry qualifications.
Who should attend
Professionals working in strategic communication, corporate communication, internal communication, external communication, corporate affairs or public relations. Those leading teams, projects, or having to influence others within the organisation.
Career Level: Generalist/Specialist, Strategic Advisor, Business Leader
Successful candidates will be able to:
Apply strategic communication approaches:
- Build alignment between business needs and communication outcome.
- Know the elements of a strategically focused communication plan.
- Explore best practices, principles, processes and implementation elements designed to equip you with the knowledge and expertise to deliver business results.
- Analyse the business and communication environments to understand how that affects your plan.
- Develop research-based measurable objectives that deliver business outcomes.
- Identify, segment, and analyse audience characteristics that inform your strategic planning.
- Harness the power of preferred communication channels and connect with audiences at an emotional level.
- Deliver tactical implementation on multiple levels through multiple channels with a consistent, meaningful voice.
- Measure the effect of your work.
Build and apply greater advisory support to your organisation
- Step up your strategic approach in a changing stakeholder environment.
- Understand and develop your leadership capability.
- Build great relationships and get the best out of people.
- Develop your consulting skills.
- Influence others and build your strategic advisory skills.
Build an effective communication strategy for your organisation
- Explore business and communication strategy.
- Measure your strategy and apply business acumen.
- Get your stakeholders on board.
- Develop a clear understanding of what drives value for stakeholders and increase your perceived value within the organisation.
Assessment task 1: Completion and execution of a strategic internal communication plan using the tools and templates from the course (following module 4).
Purpose: To enable candidates to demonstrate competence in planning and execution, by taking a strategic approach to internal communication.
- A plan incorporating, business needs, communication outcomes, objectives, measures, audience, messages, and tactical execution.
- Results of the execution of the plan.
- Critical evaluation of the results.
- Recommendations for improvement.
Assessment task 2: Candidates will be required to evaluate their current organisation's internal communication strategy or approach and explore an issue or opportunity that is presented in the strategy.
Purpose: To enable candidates to demonstrate critical evaluation and research skills as well as the ability to influence the organisation.
- Evaluation – Candidates evaluate their organisation’s communication strategy or approach for a theme or topic for further investigation, and identify the topic as an issue or opportunity to explore.
- Research – Use secondary research from several sources to explore and inform the topic
- Insight – Establish a set of recommendations.
- Present – Either a management proposal to present recommendations; or an article for publication that explores the topic.
About the trainers
Adrian Cropley OAM, FRSA, IABC Fellow, SCMP
A certified strategic communication management professional and past global chair of the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC), Adrian Cropley is widely recognised as one of the world’s foremost experts in strategic communication. He is the founder of the Centre for Strategic Communication Excellence and CEO at Cropley Communication. With a career spanning over 30 years, Adrian has worked with clients all over the world on major change communication initiatives, internal communication reviews and strategies, professional development programs, and executive leadership and coaching. In 2018 Adrian was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia for his service to the community and the advancement of the communication profession in Australia and was named an IABC Fellow in 2020.
Sia Papageorgiou FRSA, SCMP
Sia Papageorgiou is managing partner at the Centre for Strategic Communication Excellence. She’s a multi-award-winning communication leader on a mission to elevate the value and visibility of communication professionals and help them become trusted, strategic, and in-demand advisors. Sia is opinionated about what our profession can achieve and believes communication professionals have the best job in the world. She’s a certified strategic communication management professional, a Fellow of the Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce, and past president of the Victorian chapter of the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC). She’s also a past board director at IABC Asia-Pacific and is immediate past chair of the Global Communication Certification Council. In 2021, IABC Asia-Pacific named Sia Communicator of the Year and in 2022 she was awarded the prestigious IABC Rae Hamlin Award in recognition of her exemplary service in advocating the Global Standard of the Communication Profession and evangelising the power and possibility of communication.